This is a brief update on bargaining and more importantly, A PLEA FOR EVERY MEMBER TO SHOW UP THIS THURSDAY, NOV. 21 FOR A FAIR CONTRACT!
First, the update: The two Federations exchanged proposals on Friday and we felt that good progress was made. Admin has been slowly increasing their COLA offer, and FFAP has been working on a phase-in option for some of our priorities. We have closed the gap from $40 million to less than $10 million between the two sides over four years. However, when it came time to schedule another meeting the admin team hedged. “What’s the point of another meeting?” they asked, while claiming that they have no more resources to offer. The Federations insisted that we should keep up the momentum, and we convinced them to schedule the next bargaining session for Friday Nov 22, 1pm to 5pm, CLIMB and Friday Dec 6, 1pm to 5pm, CLIMB. (Sign up to observe here.)
Note that if either side feels that progress is not being made, they can request a mediator at this point in bargaining. You can see here for more information on mediation, but the upshot is that mediation may or may not work to our advantage. And it will certainly slow down the process. At this rate, we won’t receive back pay until well into winter term. We’d prefer to get a contract done now, and we think we can, with your help!
Progressive Picketing, Thursday Nov. 21
HELP US GET A SETTLEMENT NOW! Please join both Federations for PROGRESSIVE PICKETING on Thursday, November 21, culminating in a strong presence at the PCC Board of Directors Meeting at Rock Creek campus. We will have opportunities to participate at every campus, plus Portland Metro Workforce Training Center. A schedule of events is below – we encourage you all to join us for the whole day or whenever you are able! RSVP here!
- 10:00 Meet at Southeast campus, Great Hall for rally/picket
- 11:05 Depart Southeast on the shuttle bus → Portland Metro Worksource Center (PMWC)
- 11:20 Arrive PMWC, brief rally then back on the bus → Cascade
- 11:30 Arrive Cascade for rally/picketing/lunch
- 12:55 Depart Cascade on the shuttle bus→ Sylvania
- 1:20 Arrive Sylvania for rally/picket
- 3:00 Depart Sylvania on the shuttle bus→ Rock Creek for rally/picket
- 3:15 Arrive Rock Creek for rally/picket
- 5:30 Dinner provided at Rock Creek (TLC)
- 6:30 Board Meeting
- 8:15 (est.) adjournment, special shuttle bus return to Southeast campus
At each stop, we will join members from that campus. Signs and chants will be provided as we march through campus demanding a fair contract.
If you are interested in testifying, see here for some tips on effective testifying. And if you can’t make it to any of the picketing, be sure to wear your union blue on Thursday, November 21.